- Check the toilets for leaks. Drop a dye tablet into the tank and wait a few minutes. If the color shows up in the bowl, the flapper is leaking and needs to be replaced. Sometimes toilets run. This is caused by a faulty flushing mechanism and needs to be replaced.
- Check all faucets to make sure they don't drip.
- Check outside pipes for leaks.
- Look for green spots in the yard.
- Check your sprinkler system.
- Check you swimming pool.
While no water is being used, monitor the water meter indicator. If the indicator has not moved, there is no leak. However, if the indicator is moving, you may have a possible leak.
Toilet tank leak-detecting dye tablets and flow restrictors are available at the City of Alice Water Office at 500 E Main St.